Islanders are already seeing the effects of climate change, especially in our coastal communities. Adapting our way of doing things is critical to ensure safe and healthy homes and communities.
Plan ahead and take charge accordingly. Here are some actions that you can take to reduce risks:
- Check coastal erosion and flood risk maps before building or buying a home.
- Plant trees and shrubs on your property to reduce run off from rainfall.
- Flood proof your basement with landscaping and window well covers and install a sump pump with back-up power.
- Be prepared for emergency and storm-related events. Download Your Emergency Preparedness Guide.
- Use water wisely in your home and at work.
- Respect coastal environments, sand dunes, marram grass and wetlands.
- Know the rules about shoreline protection (see guide below).
- Support your local watershed group